Monday, January 9, 2017

What Light by Jay Asher



The main character of this book is spunky, nice, but also slightly reserved. She, like most teenage girls, looks to her friends for advice even if she doesn't always listen to them. Sierra sells Christmas Trees from her family's tree farm in California every year for the month of December. Her whole family packs up and leaves Oregon to sell Christmas trees. She has a life back in Oregon but also has one in California. While in California Sierra meets a boy named Caleb but everyone tells her that he's bad news. Okay, I know what you're thinking, this is the same premise for so many books these days how is this not boring? Just trust me okay? This book is not your average, good girl meets bad boy and falls in love, there is so much more I promise. I laughed and cried over this book. It was beautifully written and the characters a totally lovable. Although other reviewers say it puts you in the Christmas spirit or that it's a Christmas book, I disagree. Yes, it does take place in December and it revolves around Christmas trees but to me, there's so much other stuff put into this small book that makes it so much more. I recommend this book to anyone who likes a good vanilla romance. Sierra and Caleb's romance is very middle school, nothing super intense but still makes your heart swell. It's a fast, easy read that swept me off my feet. 

Other books like this (according to Goodreads):
The Twelve Days of Dash and Lilly by Rachel Cohn
Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland 

No comments:

Post a Comment